- Low headloss, continuous band, through flow fine or coarse screen
- Low Flow
- Heavy Duty
- Super Duty
- Front Discharge
Grid Opening Range
- 0.5mm to 75mm
- Stainless steel laced link
- Stainless steel wire mesh
- Stainless steel perforated panel
- UHMWPE perforated panel
- 0.1 mgd (5 L/s) to 160+ mgd (7,000+ L/s)
- Super Duplex
- High nickel stainless steels
The Bull Shark is known for its aggressive nature, ability to adapt to a wide range of environments, and skill in hunting in murky water. With a variety of grid types, opening sizes and models available, the Bull Shark Through Flow Screen is ideal in a wide range of environments. Low Flow, Standard, Heavy Duty, Super Duty and Front Discharge models are available.
Through flow design and large solid removal are trademarks of this versatile screen. All stainless steel construction and UHMWPE wear surfaces provide years of trouble–free operation. The extremely strong stainless steel grid reduces headlosses to well below industry standards.
- Heavy duty, high capacity continuous through flow fine or coarse band screen
- Ideal for large solids removal
- Unlimited support against deflection
- Multiple models available
Bull Shark Through Flow Family of Screens
The Standard Bull Shark Through Flow Screen is a versatile and extremely reliable screen, able to accommodate small to large municipal, industrial, institutional and intake flows.
The Heavy Duty Series is a robust version of the Bull Shark Standard Series. This model features heavy duty stainless steel axles, links, supports and drive and is designed to withstand harsher installations.
Super Duty Series
The Super Duty Series is the most robust screen Hydro-Dyne manufactures. Like the Heavy Duty Series, this screen features heavy duty stainless steel axles, links, supports and drive. The Super Duty Series is designed for large raw water, wastewater, and storm water intake applications and the most severe lift stations, wet wells, and large municipal and industrial treatment plants.
The Low Flow Series is a reliable and economical light duty screen for small treatment plants and industrial facilities. It incorporates all of the advantages of the Bull Shark Through Flow Screen but is designed for flows as low as 100gpm (6.3 L/s).
The Front Discharge Series incorporates many of the same design features as the Bull Shark Standard Series, but discharges screenings on the influent side of the screen.
Features & Benefits
Rollover each feature to interact.
Continuous belt design
Secured to top of channel only to easily pivot
Proprietary grid-to-frame and panel-to-panel sealing system
Uninterrupted seal between grid and frame held to <0.5mm tolerance
Reinforced center support track and structural supports
No submerged sprockets, bushings or bearings
Patented grid design with interchangeable opening types
UHMWPE Guide Links
All maintenance above channel
Multiple models and configurations available
Low profile bottom shoe
All T304, T316 or Super Duplex stainless steel construction
Neoprene channel seals
Fully enclosed above channel
Single-piece or sectional frame construction
Low power direct drive
Integrated screening handling
Belt travels from the clean to the dirty side in an upward motion eliminating potential for jamming. Mat of screenings accumulates undisturbed on the moving belt for higher screening capture, easier unloading and higher screening capacities with lower headlosses.
The screen is not anchored to the channel walls or floor, allowing it to pivot for easy flow bypass or inspection. Connection to top of channel allows for direct retrofit in existing channels without dewatering or taking them offline.
Total capture of solids with zero screen bypass or carry-over with no hinges to wear or neoprene to replace. Proprietary sealing system also eliminates ragging commonly associated with other screen designs.
Tight tolerance seals provide excellent membrane or sensitive process protection, eliminate screening bypass, contribute to high screening capture and prolongs the life of the equipment by eliminating grit intrusion.
Provides unlimited support against deflection for high-headloss applications. Custom designs have been engineered to operate in excess of 33’ (10m) of differential head.
No submerged sprockets and bearings below the waterline eliminates ragging commonly associated with other screen designs and the need for required maintenance in the channel. If after years of operation wear tracks need replacement they can be bolted in the field.
Perforated panel, woven mesh or laced link panels with grid openings as low as 0.5mm maintain tolerances for life and easily capture rags and wipes. All grid components are removable and can be easily accessed, repaired or replaced above the top of the channel. Proprietary grid design supports panels every 3” (75mm) for high differential, impact resistance and allows operators to change opening size in-situ without modifying equipment.
Proprietary high density, low friction drive chain efficiently directs grid around screen with no maintenance, even in abrasive and high grit applications.
Easy access to all routine maintenance and grid points means never having to isolate or dewater channels for confined space entry.
Low Flow, Standard, Heavy Duty, Super Duty and Front Discharge models available in inclinations from 60 to 90 degrees.
Low profile bottom shoe and polypropylene brush seals grid, limits headloss and eliminates screen bypass.
High quality, corrosion resistant materials are standard for use in the harshest environments. All materials are stainless steel, including fabricated drive components, and all hardware is coated with anti-seize to aid in maintenance.
Eliminates need to anchor to channel and compensates for irregularities in channel construction.
Access panels are easy to remove and completely sealed. All routine maintenance is above channel which allows for easy inspection and maintenance without special tools or access platforms.
Significantly improves safety, odor control and aesthetics for indoor and outdoor operation.
Allows for easy installation regardless of available overhead clearance.
Provides reliable and efficient operation under all conditions with stainless steel, inverter duty, explosion-proof and hydraulic drive options that do not directly contact screening surface. Fractional hp and kW drives are standard on even the largest screens.
Sluices, internal compactors and sophisticated screening washing options provide a turn-key screening package. integrated-compactor
- Combined Storm Overflow
- Comminutor and grinder replacement
- Package Plant Primary Treatment
- Prisons and Correctional Institutions
- Pump and Lift Stations
- Sludge and Septage Receiving
- Sludge Screening and Thickening
- Treatment Plant Headworks and Intake
- Algae Removal
- Desalination Plant/RO Protection
- Drainage Canals
- Raw Water Intake
- Chemical Processing
- Food & Beverage
- Meat and Poultry Processing
- Pulp and Paper
- Textile Mills
- Cooling Water Intake – Power Generation
- Fish Farming
- Irrigation System Protection
- Petroleum Refinery
- Raw Water Intake – Potable Water
- Uranium Refinery
Screen Grid Options
We offer opening options that include stainless steel links, wire mesh and perforated panels as well as UHMWPE perforated panels. Our Bull Shark Through Flow Screens can accommodate flows from 0.1 mgd (5 L/s) to 160+ mgd (7,000+ L/s) and opening sizes from 0.5mm to 75mm.
Stainless Steel Laced Links
Rectangular Openings from 1-75mm
The Link-style grid is ideally suited for water and wastewater applications where fine screening is required with low headlosses.
- Able to withstand extremely harsh environments
- Strongest grid available
- Excellent unloading of screenings
- Highest open area percentage/very efficient
- Easily handles large flows
- Extremely high open area percentages resulting in lower grid velocities
- Smaller footprint
- Wide range of opening sizes
- Versatile and proven
- Excellent in the screening of FOG and stringy material
- Municipal water and wastewater
- Prisons and correctional facilities
- Combined storm overflow
- Pump and lift systems
- Sludge and septage receiving
- Food processing
- Less efficient capture of hair and fibrous material
- Lower screening capture ratio
Stainless Steel Woven Wire Mesh
Square Openings from 0.5-25mm
The mesh-style grid is ideally suited for water applications where fine screening is required.
- High screening capture ratio
- Patented grid design maintains strength and openings tolerances for life
- High open area percentage resulting in lower grid velocity
- High solids removal in water applications
- Water intakes
- Industrial processes
- Cooling water intake
- Algae removal
- Greater water pressure/volume requirements
- Difficulty in unloading stringy/fibrous material
UHMWPE & Stainless Steel Perforated Panels
Round Openings from 1-9mm
Our perforated panel grid is excellent for a variety of municipal water and wastewater applications where fine screening is required to protect sensitive process equipment.
- Highest screening capture ratio
- Patented grid design maintains strength and openings tolerances for life
- Effectively removes hairs/fibrous material
- Municipal water and wastewater
- Pulp and paper plants
- Food Processing
- Greater water pressure/volume requirements
- Significant collection of fecal matter in municipal wastewater
- Higher headlosses
Theory of Operation
Flow passes through the screen while solids are intercepted and collected by the continuously moving grid. Solids larger than the openings in the screen’s grid are collected and form a mat, which is removed undisturbed from the flow resulting in extremely high solids capture and easy unloading.
A low profile bottom shoe and polypropylene brush seals the grid, preventing solids from bypassing under the screen. Flow is constantly presented a clean grid surface as solids are transported to the top of the screen. Screenings are discharged into screening handling equipment.
Minimal friction is achieved through the use of Ultra High Molecular Weight Poly Ethylene (UHMWPE) and stainless steel wear surfaces. Machined Delrin spacers precisely separate elements, eliminating metal-on-metal wear, reducing power and maintenance requirements and ultimately extending the life of the grid. Wide stainless steel tracks ensure years of trouble–free operation. Stainless steel grid elements provide superior strength while reducing area and headlosses. Heavy gauge stainless steel links are not susceptible to breaking and damaging downstream equipment.
Level sensing devices can be connected to variable speed drives to automatically compensate for high solids loading during peak flows or low flow conditions by proportionally speeding or slowing the grid travel speed. This increases the capacity of the equipment when needed and reduces wear, thereby extending the life of the equipment.
Our patented sealing system holds extremely tight tolerances between panels and grid to frame, eliminating the bypass of solids and intrusion of abrasive grit. We can ensure a tight tolerance down to 0.5mm in all locations on the screen, even those areas that other screens leave vulnerable.
- Guide Links create a continuous chain around edge of selected grid
- Formed stainless steel plate creates a labyrinth seal with Guide Link slot
- Fully adjustable and removable for inspection
- Continuously sealed for entire submerged grid path
- Slotted stainless steel hook links separated by Delrin spacers
- Links support panels every 3” (75mm)
- Panels are closely held against spacers
- No neoprene to erode or fall off
- No hinge to loosen or stretch
- Simple in-situ replacement
Patented direct drives efficiently power the screen. Stainless steel sprockets support and pull the black UHMWPE Guide Links, resulting in little-to-no friction and long wear. Most importantly, no part of the drive touches the grid. Therefore, a bent grid element will not be compounded into a disabled screen.
Resilience to weather, wear, and lack of maintenance make this model an excellent choice for virtually every installation. Through sensible design and material selection this headworks screen is very efficient, utilizing as low as a 0.5 hp (0.38 kW) electric motor. Screens will be wired to suit applications phase and voltage supplies. Chain guards are standard on all electrical models. Explosion proof motors are optional.
The Bull Shark Through Flow Screen with hydraulic drive incorporates all the benefits of the electric drive with the added capability to be operated submerged. This is a useful option when flooding can occur and reliability is key.
- Solid stainless steel sprockets and drive shaft
- Lifts and supports grid
- Minimum four lugs engaged per sprocket
- Adjusts to tension grid to extend wear life of screen
- Grid does not touch drive or unloading mechanism
- Low friction guide links
- Fractional hp and kW requirements
- Only two grease fittings per screen
- Direct drive uses no chains or sprockets
Several discharge options are available depending on disposal requirements.
Our highly effective spray wash is a superior method of cleaning the grid and prohibiting carry-over. Spray nozzles efficiently direct pressurized water over the width of the grid to positively remove all screenings and prevent carry-over. This method of discharge requires a relatively clean source of water to avoid clogging.
Low pressure deluge wash is a good alternative to spray headers if a source of clean water is not available. The deluge washer allows plant effluent or even screened flow to be used. This system also acts as a supply for screenings handling equipment.
Dry Unloading via Brush
Efficient dry removal is achieved with a reversible and replaceable brush. Durable polypropylene brushes comb through the grid removing debris and cleaning elements. The brush can be unhinged for cleaning with the removal of a snap of two pins. Dry removal is suitable for small systems not concerned with cleaned or compressed screenings and may be combined with wet discharge. A rotating brush can be supplied but is not typically advised.
This method utilizes patented plastic or stainless steel sprockets to drive the grid as well as index through the grid. As the sprockets push through the grid, screenings are separated and fall for disposal.
An effective screenings handling system is a critical component to every water or wastewater treatment plant. Hydro-Dyne’s turn-key screenings handling solutions are manufactured at the highest level of quality and designed to accept, wash, dewater, compact and/or transport collected screenings. In wastewater applications, screening handling systems are particularly important as they are designed to return organic material to the channel and produce clean, dry and inorganic product that can be properly disposed of in either a container or bagging unit.
Screening Handling At-A-Glance
- Collect and convey screenings for disposal
- Returns organics and wash water to channel
- Screenings meet strict landfill requirements
- Compactors reduce disposal weight and volume
- Bagging units can contain odor
- Agitation can be introduced for more thorough cleaning
- Can be designed as integral and external models
- Shafted and shaftless screw flights
Thresher Shark Washing Machine
- Extremely thorough washing removes virtually all fecal material and produces “clean” and compacted screenings for disposal
- High capture of inorganic solids reduces plant operating costs and improves sludge quality
- Organic material returned to plant for biologic treatment
Thank you for your interest in our company.
Do you have any questions or would you like more information? We’d be happy to hear from you.